Given the date of the ECHO Award, are students who graduate this summer still eligible?
Yes, students who are now in the graduation phase and who graduate before the summer of 2023 can still be nominated for the ECHO Award.
What are the categories for the ECHO Award this year?
This year there are four categories:
- ECHO Award HBO for students at a university of applied sciences
- ECHO Award WO for students at a research university
- STEM Award for students at a university of applied sciences or research university
- Law & Tax Award for students at a university of applied sciences or a research university
How many candidates is an institution allowed to nominate?
Each institution may nominate a maximum of 3 candidates per category. Based on these conditions, a university is able to nominate a total of 9 candidates.
What is the target group for the ECHO Award?
The ECHO Award focuses on:
- Dutch students with a non-western background. *
- Students with a refugee background.
*For the definition of “non-Western”, ECHO relies on the CBS framework: “Person with a migration background from one of the countries in Africa, Latin America and Asia (excluding Indonesia and Japan) or Turkey.”
Because the CBS bases its definition on a socio-economic approach and the work of ECHO is based on a social-cultural approach in the Dutch context, ECHO includes Indonesia and Japan in a “non-western” framework. For questions about this approach, please do not hesitate to contact us.
International students are only eligible if they:
- Identify as part of a marginalized community in their own context;
- Intend to settle in the Netherlands;
- Have made a social contribution to Dutch society.
Is the grade average of 7.5 a hard requirement?
No, the jury considers a grade average as a good indicator of excellence, but certainly not as the only indicator. The jury always assesses the grade average in relation to the context of the student.
Is “excellent English” a hard requirement?
No, we do not assume that candidates are native speakers. The level of English must be sufficient for the candidate to have a conversation in English and enables them to participate in courses at UCLA.
Can student associations also nominate candidates?
No, candidates must be nominated by a higher education institution. The reason for this is that the ECHO Award is a means to put the theme of diversity and inclusion on the agenda within the institution.
Is it correct that the case assignment is no longer part of the nomination procedure?
Yes, that is correct.